Friday

Kindle Author Interview: Tim Kizer

Tim Kizer, author of Intoxication, discusses his book, his journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about Intoxication?

TIM KIZER: This is a story of a young psychopathic woman who suspects that someone at work is trying to poison her. Her paranoia breaks out of control, and she takes the law into her own hands, with no regard for morals or human life. It is hard to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if the cat is not there, but this lady will stop at nothing to find and kill it.

You will be surprised by the way this story ends, I guarantee. Even paranoids have enemies, you know.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

TIM KIZER: When it comes to developing a character, I have a few rules I try to follow.

First, I add some ambiguity to the protagonist, so that he or she doesn’t come off as a saint. This makes the character more relatable since none of us is perfect.

Second, I avoid making the antagonist an over the top villain, which happens very often in the horror/suspense genre. If the story absolutely requires such a villain, I try to explain his/her motives, show why the horrific actions make sense in his/her situation.

And third, my characters’ behavior should be consistent throughout the book; any major surprises must be explained.

As for differentiating the characters, evil people in my books are utterly selfish, while the good guys keep their egoism in check.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

TIM KIZER: My ideal reader is a person who enjoys a good scare and doesn’t faint at the sight of a murder scene or an occasional swear word. This reader appreciates both gore and subtlety.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

TIM KIZER: I started writing in high school, when I was introduced to Stephen King’s books. A few years later, I began sending queries to literary agents, with no success, which was completely my fault: some of my early gems could use extreme rewriting. Right now, I am on a break from trying to get an agent since it became clear that you don’t need one to succeed in the current literary market.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

TIM KIZER: I think discipline is key in writing. I try to write a certain number of pages every week, even if they seem boring and uninspired. I cut the boring parts out later. In a way, it is similar to the approach of French sculptor Auguste Rodin, who said: “I choose a block of marble and chop off whatever I don't need.”

Sometimes, when I have a writer’s block with one book, I start or continue working on another.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

TIM KIZER: Stephen King is the author that inspires me the most, and you have probably heard it a thousand times before from suspense and horror writers. Dean Koontz is a close second, but only because I discovered him years after I started reading Stephen King.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

TIM KIZER: Misery by Stephen King. One location, two characters, yet it’s one of the most terrifying books ever written.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

TIM KIZER: I believe in the word of mouth, which is why I have been sending Intoxication to reviewers at book blogs. I will not stop until I contact every one of them. I have also put some effort into my website, www.horror-suspense.com. I will probably invest in paid advertising once I have a dozen or so good reviews from bloggers.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

TIM KIZER: First, it is easy. Second, they have a huge audience with some disposable income.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

TIM KIZER: In order to have a chance of success on Kindle, a self-publishing author should go on every major Kindle related forum and read about other writers’ experiences in promoting their books on Kindle. Even though there is not one formula of success, you shouldn’t rest until you’ve tried every trick in the book.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Tim Kizer is an author of several novels and numerous short stories in the horror, suspense, and action thriller genre.

He resides in Southern California and is currently working on his new novel Judgment Day.

Visit his website.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment