Thursday

Kindle Author Interview: Logan Rutherford

Logan Rutherford, author of Runner, discusses his book, his journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about Runner?

LOGAN RUTHERFORD: Runner is about a 16-year-old boy, who's family has been kidnapped. He has no clue who it is that's chasing him, or why. But, his goal is to find out who the people are, what they want, and how to get his family back. The book is actually the first in a series of short stories called "The Runners."

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

LOGAN RUTHERFORD: I get an idea in my head on what their personalty is, and when situations come up as I write, I go to my mental Post-It's and think about what that certain character would act based on how I want their character to develop at that moment.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

LOGAN RUTHERFORD: My ideal reader is somebody who spends their time reading long books, but at the end of the day wants something that's quick to read, but still gives them the story, and satisfaction that you would find by reading a full length novel.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

LOGAN RUTHERFORD: I always loved to write when I was younger, but I could never get myself to fall in love with the book, the characters, and the writing process. But with Runner I've done all of that. It made me realize that it doesn't matter if you get published, or sell a lot of copies. All that matters is that you love the finished work, and you're aching to do more.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

LOGAN RUTHERFORD: Usually an idea comes to me, and I write it down, along with a few basic notes. Then, I just start writing. I don't really outline that much, but I do usually come up with, what is the greatest cliffhanger ever to end my book with, and I work to that. Every single one of my books, finished or not, have great cliffhanger endings. I love it.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

LOGAN RUTHERFORD: James Dashner, author of The Maze Runner Trilogy and The 13th Reality Series has really inspired me. He's who I dedicated Runner to.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

LOGAN RUTHERFORD: The Lord of the Rings. Wouldn't that be awesome to say that you wrote the greatest fantasy series of all time?

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

LOGAN RUTHERFORD: Through social media, blogging, word of mouth, interviews, and I'm trying out a new thing where I generate a QR code, and stick it in random places for people to scan with their Smart Phones and they get taken straight to the Amazon page for Runner.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

LOGAN RUTHERFORD: Because, it can be hard to get a publisher, especially for short stories, and for people who can't be devoted to writing full time. With Kindle, you can make a substantial profit, and best of all, people get to read your creation!

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

LOGAN RUTHERFORD: The feeling you get when you see that somebody has bought your book is amazing. I mean, even seeing your book on the Amazon store is amazing! Just do it! What have you got to lose? It's not like it costs any money to put it on the Amazon store!

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Logan Rutherford is a 16-year-old who developed a passion for reading and writing at a young age. He lives in Texas with his parents, five sisters, and one brother…and a few dogs.

Read his blog and follow him on twitter.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment