Wednesday

Kindle Author Interview: J.L. McPherson

J.L. McPherson, author of The Gorge, discusses his book, his journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about The Gorge?

J.L. McPHERSON: The Gorge is a story of backwoods mountain culture, of a snake handling, strychnine-drinking pastor, who rises to power over his devoted flock. Of a Native American curse, confining an even older civilization of cannibal cave dwellers to within in the boundaries of a mountain gorge, hidden deep in the backcountry of the five hundred thousand acre Pisgah National Forrest.

Nathan Mires is drawn to this place, as a moth is helpless to the magnetism of a glowing porch light. His life has fallen to pieces; something has taken control of him, causing a murderous rampage, which has led him to flee into the backcountry of the Pisgah, seeking refuge from a crooked, spiteful sheriff. Soon after he arrives in the gorge, he discovers his problems have only just begun.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

J.L. McPHERSON: Once I have created a character, they just kind of do their thing and react to the plot. Great characters and a great setting with plenty of conflict will make each one come to life in your head as you write.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

J.L. McPHERSON: An ideal reader for me would be anyone that enjoys a good, suspenseful and frightening story. I don't write cookie cutter thrillers. My stories are a unique and fresh view into the real Appalachia. A world most people will never experience and a view into the majestic Blue Ridge Mountains.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

J.L. McPHERSON: This is my first published novel. I thought long and hard as to how to get published and the more I read about the rigors of traditional publishing, the more I detested it. I decided to go the indie route and published through Amazon and Barnes & Noble directly, and it was one of the best decisions I've made.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

J.L. McPHERSON: I'm not much of an outline guy, it just doesn't work for me. As I write, I have a vague idea of what will happen next, but I don't really know until it happens. I am usually as surprised as the reader.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

J.L. McPHERSON: I would have to say Louis L'Amour, Robert McCammon and Stephen King.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

J.L. McPHERSON: Wow, that's a hard one, but I think it would be, Deliverance by James Dickey.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

J.L. McPHERSON: I really have not done much marketing at all. I've been doing a lot of writing and preparing my next novel.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

J.L. McPHERSON: One word, FREEDOM! I love it!

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

J.L. McPHERSON: Self publishing was once a terrible decision, that has changed dramatically with the option of publishing directly through Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The Kindle and the Nook have only began to reach their full potential. You will have full control of everything, pricing, cover art, all of it. Ebooks are the way of the future, do not miss out.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

J.L. McPherson is a writer of Appalachian thriller and horror novels. He lives in the Blue Ridge Mountains of the Carolina’s with his wife and four children. He is an avid outdoorsman, fly fisherman and enjoys the culture and the many fascinating stories that abound the Appalachian region.

His book is available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment