Thursday

Kindle Author Interview: Sean Orford

Sean Orford, author of Tantra, Sex, Orgasm, and Meditation, discusses his book, his journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about Tantra, Sex, Orgasm, and Meditation?

SEAN ORFORD: The book came about because, over the years, many clients and students have asked me to write books on sexuality. My other published books all concern self development in one form or another. Around 30% of my work is with couples so issues of sex and sexuality have quite a high profile in my working week.

I estimate that when couples are working well, sexuality takes up around 10% of their consciousness. When couples develop problems or a crisis this figure reverses and sexuality forms around 90% of the couple’s consciousness. The bed becomes either a battle ground or a loving place that can regenerate and restore a relationship.

Sexuality is the most important unspoken activity in human development.

DAVID WISEHART: How did you research your book?

SEAN ORFORD: I was trained in Ayurvedic psychology and Yogic practise including the science of Tantra, which is the science of intentional creation, is one of eight Ayurvedic sciences. In the west Tantra is usually seen as sexuality, however this is just one aspect of the science. In some parts of the world Tantra is seen, and indeed practised, as a religion.

Part of my training included tantric sexual practice and this book describes an aspect of that experience. The book is told as a story that is based in real experience, but told in a way that is intended to make the contents both useable and understandable.

DAVID WISEHART: What most appeals to you about the Ayurvedic model?

SEAN ORFORD: Ayurvedic science is holistic so Ayurvedic psychotherapy does not separate mind and body. In the West we create clear divisions between areas of medicine as specialities and in psychological medicine we create clear distinction between psychiatry, psychology, psychotherapy, and counselling. This does not happen in Ayurveda.

Ayurveda is based around a set of sciences: Ayur = Life and Veda = Knowledge (Sanskrit). The Ayurvedic researchers were known as Rishis, the word Yoga comes from the root word Yug, to gather in or gather together. The Ayurvedic sciences gave rise to the Yogas or which there are eight. In the west yoga is usually seen as Hatha, or the science of bioenergetic balance and Raja, the science of being, or meditation.

In terms of Tantra the relationship between psychology, spirituality, the physical body and sexuality are all equal and are all used in Tantric therapy. In my own work, in general psychotherapy, I use a holistic Ayurvedic approach, when working with any issue.



DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

SEAN ORFORD: Interesting question! The readership of all my other books have been those that have an awareness of self development and the awakening of human consciousness. Readers have come to my books through their experience of therapy, through psychology, yoga, meditation whilst my business clients tend to be interested in products such as The Secret.

For this book my ideal reader is any individual or couple that want to understand sexuality at a deeper level, those that can make the connection between sexuality, spirituality and their own self development, and would want to use meditation as a part of their sexual practice. It also includes the development and intensification of their sexual pleasure and experience.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

SEAN ORFORD: Writing is an extension of my work, which is my life. My driving force is in the belief that the purpose of life is the evolution of consciousness and that all forms of therapy are enabling forces to that end.

My books are aimed at enabling he reader to find the answers to life’s basic questions:
  • Who am I?
  • How did I get like it?
  • What can I do about it?
  • How can I find fulfilment and create the life that I really want to live?
I am currently working towards creating multimedia products that will enable the readers and users to achieve this.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

SEAN ORFORD: My first principle is to write in a way that makes the reader feel that I am talking to them. I, therefore, tend to talk out loud while writing at the keyboard. Often I will use speech recognition software to talk directly into the computer.

I use the Ayurvedic model to write most of my books. This means that most of my books have ten chapters that cover each of the human drives related to the chakras, or energy centres in the physical and psychological body:
  • Set the scene
  • Physical aspects
  • Social/sensual consideration
  • Intellectual/experiential/perceptual issues
  • Emotional and egotistical consequences
  • Cognitive/logical/conceptual issues
  • Intuitive/sensitive/meditative understanding
  • Creative/inventive/problem solving actions
  • Global consequences and worldwide consideration
  • Where do we go from here?
By using this system I aim to cover all aspects of human experience so that the books are as holistic as the Ayurvedic model.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

SEAN ORFORD: I am fascinated by anything that makes me think. This includes philosophy, psychology, all sciences including quantum physics. I love the work of the teachers from The Secret DVD, particularly Bob Proctor and Joe Vitale. I also have a lot of respect for Harv Eker, author of The Millionaire Mind, who makes me laugh as well as think.

I am also fascinated by audio books read by the author, which not many writers can do effectively. The person who I find really makes what he is reading come to life is Stephen Fry who is so easy on the ear that I can listen to him all day.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

SEAN ORFORD: The book I come back to again and again is the Bhagavad Gita, known generally as The Gita. This book is really a chapter of a much bigger book The Mahabarata. The Gita has no known author but has been passed down from generation to generation for thousands of years. The Gita tells the story of life and explains how we can live a good and blameless life and overcome our problems through dharma, correct action. My favourite edition is A Walkthrough for Westerners by Jack Hawley.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

SEAN ORFORD: The true answer to that is poorly. I am still learning. Mainly Internet but also face to face launches. The idea of reviews is the next step to getting known to a wider audience. I have a website and have created video trailers for my most recent two books. I am about to take the plunge in to Google AdWords as well, which promises to be an interesting experiment.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

SEAN ORFORD: I see the ebook, and therefore Kindle, as the future. It is amazing that any book on Kindle is immediately accessible to anyone, anywhere in the world, I love it. The traditional publishing model is clearly crumbling. Books are now available cheaper than ever, but at a price where authors can still make a decent living.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

SEAN ORFORD: Buy a Kindle! Look at other books and how they look using the media, then think how your material can best use the system. I would then talk to people and read anything that explains about marketing and reviewing your work.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Sean Orford is a UK based psychotherapist, author and speaker. Practising for over 30 years Sean works for a range of public and private organisations offering staff support, one-on-one and couples therapy.

Much of Sean's life has been dedicated to discovering the answer to the meaning of life. He has lived and studied with many communities, religions and disciplines - Spiritualists, Christian Scientists, Theosophists, Anthroposophists, Buddhists, Hindus, Jaines, Jews, Christians and so on. The author also spent time with more extreme cults such as the "Moonies."

Visit his website, find him on facebook, and follow him on twitter.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment