Tuesday

Kindle Author Interview: Kevin Krohn

Kevin Krohn, author of Severed Ties, discusses his book, his journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about Severed Ties?

KEVIN KROHN: Severed Ties is a modern-day revenge story. The story follows Nyne Harper and her widowed father. The death of Nyne's mother is believed to be in response to her father blowing the whistle on a large corporate cover-up. The two are on the run and fearful for their lives, but know they cannot run forever.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

KEVIN KROHN: A lot of the development in Severed Ties is discovered in the dialogue. I use the dialogue to let the characters expose their personalites to the reader. Their are no wasted characters in the book, each one holds a very specific piece of the story, and I allow them to bring the reader in to their individual purpose.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

KEVIN KROHN: The ideal reader for Severed Ties would be anyone wanting a fast-paced and fun read. I purposely didn't dive into tedious detail to stretch the story out, as this arc is more fit for constant movement and action, and I wanted the prose to match the quick intensity of each chapter. The story appears to have resonated most with YA readers, but it is something all can enjoy.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

KEVIN KROHN: Severed Ties is my first published work, so my journey has taken a while. It is something I truly enjoy doing, and getting the first book out there has given me the confidence to continue to work and put more pieces out.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

KEVIN KROHN: The physical process is that I write the entire story out in spiralbound notebooks. I cannot type and keep a fluid train of though at the same time, so the original work is written out and then I go from there. In terms of story process, I don't really storyboard anything out. I know where I want to start the story and where I want it to end, but I let the rest of the arc play it self out in the writing progression. It gives the characters a more realistic sense of self-discovery or surprise when I am going through the same discovery with them.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

KEVIN KROHN: I am a Chuck Palahniuk fan. He pushes boundaries in a way that is entertaining and thought-provoking, and he skillfully dives into unrelenting detail that I shied away from in Severed Ties.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

KEVIN KROHN: I wish I could have written Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

KEVIN KROHN: I have done most of my promotion through book review sites and blogs. Social media outlets have helped me connect with many people to get the word out as well.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

KEVIN KROHN: Kindle allows worldwide access to people I may not be able to reach otherwise, so it has been fantastic. The difficulty of trying to get in enough bookstores nationally for everyone to have access can be quickly remedied now, as anyone can get access instantly. And the Kindle will never be sold out of Severed Ties!

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

KEVIN KROHN: The Kindle provides a great way for you to get your work out in a convenient, low-cost way. So my only advice would be to go for it.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Kevin Krohn lives in Layton, Utah, with his wife and two children. Severed Ties is Kevin's first published work.

Read his book blog, meet him on myspace and follow him on twitter.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment