Tuesday

Kindle Author Interview: Karina Dolehide

Karina Dolehide, author of Best Served Cold, discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about Best Served Cold?

KARINA DOLEHIDE: Best Served Cold is my first novel. I've always loved to write, but one day I dreamed of a story that I felt compelled to write. After 2 months of writing, I had over 100k words written. I have since done a lot of editing and it is down to more palpable 89k.

The story is really about the one of the oldest drives in human nature...revenge. We've all felt the urge to take revenge, but not everyone does it. But there are a select few in this world that will take their revenge to the level my character does.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

KARINA DOLEHIDE: I thought about what were the different motivations each character would have and developed them based on those motivations. Things like need for security and love of family were motivations for my characters. Then I developed their histories in my mind. What were they like before they met each other? Who were they? Once I established "mental" histories for them, I just wrote them as I thought they would react to each situation.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

KARINA DOLEHIDE: Anyone who likes 3D characters put through trials and tribulations. There is no age group of my ideal reader, I've had different age groups react positively to the book. The ideal reader is someone who likes a good thriller novel with a splash of romance.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

KARINA DOLEHIDE: My journey was easy actually. I wrote during the day and at night. In fact I was consumed with the story at points that I dreamed of them at night.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

KARINA DOLEHIDE: For this book, I sat down on the couch with my laptop and headphones and just furiously typed away.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

KARINA DOLEHIDE: My first favorite authors were Stephen King, Mary Higgins Clark, Dean Koontz, and Edgar Allen Poe. Later on I became a fan of JK Rowling. Lately, I have been reading Charlaine Harris.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

KARINA DOLEHIDE: The Stand. I have read that book 8 times. I love to revisit it on occasion. The interaction between the characters in that story always moved me.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

KARINA DOLEHIDE: I just started marketing and promoting actually. The book officially was approved Feb. 9 of this year. I'm reading everything about how to market, and one way is to get reviews on the book. I have hit up my friends and family. I give copies for offices to read, I have a website...and I'm still exploring ways to market it.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

KARINA DOLEHIDE: The Kindle just a fantastic device, and I think it is the future of books. I first heard about it from one of my teachers at Roosevelt University in 2008. I ordered it and it came April of 2009...and I feel in love with the idea that so many books can travel with a person wherever they go. And people that are not able to get books readily can now do it with just a few pushes of a button. My mother recently bought one and she loves it as well. I still love regular books, I still think they will always have a place in this world. I hope and pray they will never go away. But the Kindle and ereaders are the future.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

KARINA DOLEHIDE: Edit...a lot. I went through a lot of editing on my book. I had many people read it before I would even publish it. Get some feedback from some very patient and understanding friends. Even though it is easy to publish on a Kindle, that doesn't mean authors should get sloppy with what is being published. Even now I have a regular copy of the book with me and I still am making notes to tweak places in the book.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Karina Dolehide lives in the suburbs of Chicago and is the mother of two wonderful children.

Visit her website.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment