Monday

Kindle Author Interview: Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson, author of The Morgan Project, discusses his book, his journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about The Morgan Project?

DAN NELSON: The Morgan Project is a science fiction series. It's a conspiracy thriller concerning a sinister and terrifying cover up operation involving an alien intelligence who will stop at nothing to locate a teenage boy who is their 'key'.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

DAN NELSON: There are numerous characters in the series, unfortunately most of them are bad people with their own hidden agendas. Of course there is a lead 'hero' character who must risk everything to protect the young boy and expose the cover up operation.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

DAN NELSON: People who enjoy films like Signs, Contact, The X Files, The Arrival and Fire in the Sky should also enjoy reading this series.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

DAN NELSON: My interest has now switched from factual to fictional based writing. I feel that writing science fiction gives you far more freedom to be creative and make full use of one's imagination. I have written several science fiction stories in the past but nothing like on the scale of The Morgan Project.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

DAN NELSON: I allocate a certain portion of my day to just writing non-stop for 3-4 hours. Sometimes though, when I'm feeling particularly inspired, I will start writing late at night and still be writing into the early hours. I am quite a fussy writer and often find myself editing dialogue and scene descriptions.

I find that going out for a walk helps to clear my head whenever I'm suffering from 'writer's block'.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

DAN NELSON: I've been inspired by many great authors, including John Grisham, Erich Von Daniken, Michael Crichton and Arthur Conan Doyle.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

DAN NELSON: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. This is so well written and even better than the movie.

DAVID WISEHART: I see that you're serializing the book through Kindle and email. How is that approach working out?

DAN NELSON: It's working out very well and people keep asking me to hurry up and release new chapters!

The readership is growing for the series and it's already hit the Amazon UK best seller list which has really encouraged me to keep writing.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

DAN NELSON: I have set up an official blog to promote the book and allow people to sign up for chapter updates.

Currently it's mostly 'word of mouth' marketing which I'm finding is working well for me.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

DAN NELSON: Kindle was the obvious choice of publishing platform since so many people now prefer to read digital books. Amazon have also made their 'Kindle reader software' available on other consumer devices including the iPhone and iPad. This is great news for authors since it expands the
readership for their books.

I also enjoy a technical challenge and wanted to learn how to compile a Kindle ebook from scratch.

It was more difficult than I expected but I got there in the end! I'm sure someone will eventually release some software that makes the layout and design of Kindle ebooks much quicker and easier.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

DAN NELSON: I would say go for it and get your book out there! Put everything you've got into your writing and make sure you set up an author's blog. It's also handy to have a Facebook fan page and send out updates using Twitter.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Dan Nelson is 36 and lives in the UK. His hobbies include home brewing, composing music, games programming, cooking, and entertaining people.

Visit his website and read his blog.






Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment