Monday

Kindle Author Interview: Sibel Hodge

Sibel Hodge, author of My Perfect Wedding, discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

[I previously interviewed her back in July.]

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about My Perfect Wedding?

SIBEL HODGE: My Perfect Wedding is a romantic comedy that combines murder and mayhem with romance and chicklit. Helen Grey is finally getting married and moving to the sunny Mediterranean to have the perfect wedding and escape the rat-race. She assumes it’s going to be nothing but love and romance, but living the dream isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. It shows the twists and turns in life that can happen unexpectedly. It is the sequel to Fourteen Days Later, although it can be read as a standalone novel.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

SIBEL HODGE: Creating characters are one of my favourite things about writing novels. I get my inspiration from friends, family, people I meet, films...everywhere and anywhere. And the beauty is you can make up anyone you want—even the perfect man! My characters tend to develop on their own as I write. Sometimes they take over! My Perfect Wedding is the sequel to Fourteen Days Later so there are a lot of characters in it from the first novel.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

SIBEL HODGE: My target reader is mainly women of all ages, although a lot of men have read my novels and enjoyed them, too. They should appeal to anyone who enjoys a fun read.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

SIBEL HODGE: I’ve always loved writing. When I was a little kid, I was always scribbling away. I started my first novel when I was about seventeen but didn’t have a clue what I was doing, so I binned it. I started the second one when I was twenty-seven but never got further than the first three chapters. My third one I started when I was thirty-five and went on to become my debut romantic comedy, Fourteen Days Later.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

SIBEL HODGE: I try not to get too hung up on plotting in advance because I find it hinders my creativity. I usually write a few lines of what I need to happen in certain chapters and then immerse myself in it. If I just write, it all starts to unfold naturally.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

SIBEL HODGE: Sophie Kinsella, Marian Keyes, Janet Evanovich, Harlan Coben.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

SIBEL HODGE: Bridget Jones's Diary.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

SIBEL HODGE: I belong to different Kindle forums and interact with other authors and readers. I also use Social Media to interact and market my work. Other blogs like this lovely one will sometimes host interviews and features, and I also have my own blog. I send my novels off to book reviewers to read. Really I need about twenty more hours in the day, though!

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

SIBEL HODGE: I'd queried traditional agents and publishers for a couple of years. I came close to being published a few times but it never worked out. At the time, Kindle hadn't opened their publishing up to non US authors so I wrote another book. Last year they allowed non US authors to publish and I haven't looked back since!

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

SIBEL HODGE: Get your manuscript edited and critiqued professionally before you publish. Being an Indie means you're responsible for everything - marketing - promoting - writing - covers. You can learn a vast wealth of information from places like Kindleboards where you can interact with other Indie authors.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Sibel Hodge has dual British/Turkish Cypriot nationality, dividing her time between Hertfordshire and North Cyprus. She is a qualified personal trainer, sports and massage therapist, and writes freelance feature articles on health, fitness, and various lifetyle subjects. Prior to this, she also worked for Hertfordshire Constabulary for ten years.

Her first novel, Fourteen Days Later, was short listed for the Harry Bowling Prize 2008 and received a highly commended by the Yeovil Literary Prize 2009. It is a romantic comedy with a unique infusion of British and Turkish Cypriot culture. Written in a similar style to Sophie Kinsella and Marian Keyes, Fourteen Days Later is My Big Fat Greek Wedding meets Bridget Jones.

The Fashion Police is her second novel and was a runner up in the Chapter One Promotions Novel Competition 2010. It is a screwball comedy-mystery, combining murder and mayhem with romance and chick-lit, and the first in a series featuring feisty, larger-than-life insurance investigator, Amber Fox. Written in a similar style to Janet Evanovich and Myron Bolitar, The Fashion Police is Stephanie Plum meets Harlan Coben.

My Perfect Wedding is her third novel and the sequel to Fourteen Days Later.

Visit her website.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment