Friday

Kindle Author Interview: Kavita Nalawde


Kavita Nalawde, author of Coffee @ 4:00, discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about Coffee @ 4:00?

KAVITA NALAWDE: Coffee @ 4:00 is a story of three friends and the journey of their life.

In an ideal arranged marriage, parents choose partners for their children; boy and girl get married, have kids and live happily. However, things are much more complicated for some.

Ria is married to Sunil. She feels that her existence is boring and routine but then suddenly things take a different turn when she starts getting strange clues about Sunil’s life.

She has two very special friends Geeta and Ryan who she meets every Thursday in a cafe. They both are victims of circumstances and had to overcome a lot of hurdles in the past to reach where they are now. They think that they have seen it all but destiny changes their path and they come face to face with their inner reservations.

Many readers reading the story will be able to identify some part or some chapter of their life hidden in the pages.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

KAVITA NALAWDE: I create a mental image of each and every character in my book (it might be a Hindi film actor or a person I have met) and then the story flows automatically. I sometimes visualise my characters interacting when I am writing a scene so that it feels real. The characters walk from room to room talk and go about their lives in my minds eyes.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

KAVITA NALAWDE: My ideal reader would be anyone who enjoys books with a good flowing story. I write chatty books where my characters talk, make fun, shout and relate to each other how a person would in real. However, I also love to give the reader a general background that helps them create an image in their mind of a particular place or event and enjoy the story a lot more.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

KAVITA NALAWDE: My journey started in the fifth grade when a little piece I wrote was accepted for the annual school magazine. My parents encouraged me and I started to write poetry in English and Hindi. I wrote several bits and pieces in my little diary at home. I decided to test myself and submitted a poem to an online competition. I was very thrilled when it came in the first three. I wanted to pursue this further but circumstances changed the path of my life and my writing stopped. After many years I decided to write again and my husband got me my very own laptop (the best thing I ever got) I started to write daily and have not stopped since then.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

KAVITA NALAWDE: I am a morning person and I write regularly in the mornings. It’s like an addiction but a good one. There are some days when I am unable to write for some reason and then feel a little incomplete.

Once I have decided to write a story the characters and the scenes keep on buzzing in my mind until I have typed everything to the last detail. The ideas come in my mind in all sorts of places like the supermarket, park or maybe even the tube and hence I keep a little notepad with me at all times to write the things down.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

KAVITA NALAWDE: My most favourite author is Munshi Premchand. He wrote various short stories that were translated in English and Russian. I also like Agatha Christie, Stephen King, J K Rowling, Karen Mcquestion, and Marian Keyes.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

KAVITA NALAWDE: I like so many books that it will be difficult to choose just one author. The one book that comes to mind at this point of time is The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas and I wish I could write gripping books like him.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

KAVITA NALAWDE: Coffee @ 4:00, my debut novel, was published a couple of months back so I thought to tell about it to friends. I also created my website and a Facebook page so people could read a little bit about the story.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kavita-Nalawde/170927232930962

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

KAVITA NALAWDE: Ebooks are the way forward. Amazon Kindle is the best way to publish currently as they give the authors the much needed transparency and security. I never thought I would write this but Kindle did change my life. Apart from being a writer I am a big reader as well and because of Kindle I have access to millions of books. Believe me, one-click is addictive.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

KAVITA NALAWDE: The only advice I would like to give is patience. Instead of writing and editing in a rush it is much better to enjoy the story and check everything twice and then once again. Hard work never goes waste.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Kavita Nalawde was born in Mumbai and currently lives in UK. She studied Chemistry in Mumbai University. 

After coming to UK she worked in the online communications department for a retail firm for nine years before deciding to take the plunge and be a writer full-time.

She is married to a very patient IT professional. She does the normal things that all wives and mums do in their daily life but doesn’t wait to grab the keyboard at every opportunity to continue her passion for writing further...

Visit her website, read her blog, find her on facebook and follow her on twitter.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment