Friday

Kindle Author Interview: Jillian Godsil

Jillian Godsil, author of Running Out of Road, discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about Running Out of Road?

JILLIAN GODSIL: Think Father Ted meets Jilly Cooper!

Bella bursts into the world with an energy that defies any attempt at grace. Her dysfunctional past continues, bringing chaos and havoc to those around her, but especially ...herself. Onward she struggles, despite drugs, sex, murder, talking dogs, space ships, hermaphrodites and more. You name it. This young girl is normal. You're the crazy one! See what happens when Bella starts Running Out of Road.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

JILLIAN GODSIL: Bella, the narrator of the novel, already existed somewhere before I wrote about her. I penned the first chapter in one sitting and with no idea of who she was, where she had come from or where she was going. She wrote her own story and I had very little control of where it went!

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

JILLIAN GODSIL: Over 18s! Men and women can both enjoy it. I like to think that people will laugh out loud when they read the story, it is full of a dark humour.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

JILLIAN GODSIL: I've always been a writer, but i just never wrote properly until about ten years ago. I write non-fiction constantly professionally but something clicked in my head ten years ago and I started writing fiction.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

JILLIAN GODSIL: I am very busy with two teenagers, four horses, a full time job, friends and other hobbies. So, I tend to write in brief bursts usually late at night after I have finished all my other jobs.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

JILLIAN GODSIL: Many many authors. Recently I read The Reader by Bernhard Schlink, loved it. So too was The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Surprising I also just read The Warden by Anthony Trollope and loved that too!

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

JILLIAN GODSIL: Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

JILLIAN GODSIL: I have worn out the patience of my friends and family. I have sought, and got, great reviews from established authors and publlishers. I think about it constantly and loiter around blogs, logs and other sites looking for a chance to talk about it. It is consuming my life!

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

JILLIAN GODSIL: I wanted access to a greater audience.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

JILLIAN GODSIL: Go for it! Read the community blogs and ask questions—people are very friendly on the community threads on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Jillian Godsil lives in South County Wicklow, Ireland, with her two children, four horses, one dog and cat. They live very busy lives and she spends a lot of time driving to horse events all over the country with the children. Her work is also very busy, www.practicepr.ie, where she and her business colleagues launched the Ultimate Job in Ireland and probably the World in 2010 and are working on launching The Ultimate Job 2 in the next two months. She loves running, reading and meeting her friends.

She is thinking about her next novel which will be a love story.

Read her blog.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment