Monday

Kindle Author Interview: Regan Black

Regan Black, author of Justice Incarnate, discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about Justice Incarnate?

REGAN BLACK: Justice Incarnate was my first published novel and it all started from a short story contest (it won by the way). Ray Bradbury says if you write enough short stories you'll know which ones need to be novels and that was certainly the case with this story as it launched an entire series for me.

Set in 2096 Chicago, Justice Incarnate is an action-packed thriller featuring a heroine, Jaden Michaels, who's been reincarnated to battle with a demon who preys on humanity. Having been through the cycle too many times, Jaden is determined to find the secret that will let her get the job done—permanently.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

REGAN BLACK: My stories often start with an image, concept, or situation, and the adventures and characters grow from that one spark. As each character acts and reacts within a storyline, I spend time asking why, uncovering the individual back story, and speculating on what that character wants most and more importantly, what they'll do to get it.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

REGAN BLACK: When Justice Incarnate was first released I assumed my readers would be primarily women who enjoy paranormal romance novels, but we've found an equal number of men and women who read sci-fi and fantasy enjoy my books too. I think my ideal reader is the person looking for an action-packed and entertaining story.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

REGAN BLACK: Writing's been an integral part of my life since I learned how to put pen to paper. I love making up stories or silly rhymes to amuse my family and friends. As far as publishing goes, I was first published as a poet, but my fiction career began with short stories and eventually expanded to novels.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

REGAN BLACK: I try to write "forward" on whatever my current project is every morning. Mornings are my strongest writing time, so I try to ride that creative energy first thing. After that, I focus on promotion and my website and the rest of my life. Sometimes I get another fresh writing session in the evening, but it depends on what's happening with my family.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

REGAN BLACK: The creative variety and productivity of Clive Cussler and Nora Roberts, the amazing characterization and development of J.K. Rowling, C.S. Lewis, and J.R.R. Tolkien for crafting timeless series that continue to entertain multiple generations.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

REGAN BLACK: Just one? I love the elegance of historical romance, but I don't have the voice for the genre. If I had to pick one book, I guess I'd go with Harry Potter (but if I had written that one, it would be on Kindle).

DAVID WISEHART: How did you create your cover?

REGAN BLACK: The current cover for Justice Incarnate on Kindle was designed by Karl Warren. He's a genius with graphics and imagery and I'm fortunate to be able to work with him.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

REGAN BLACK: My promotion started with libraries, bookstore signings, and a basic website. To keep up with the industry changes and my writing productivity, now I put more of my energy into online promotion. I redesigned my website, provide interviews, and giveaways on other sites, participate in online forums and social media. Additionally, I've developed classes that I present through online workshops to share my experience with other authors.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

REGAN BLACK: Publishing on Kindle means you can get books directly to the market on the time table that suits you as an author and at a price that appeals to readers. With the power of Amazon's marketing strategies your book gets in front of everyone who has a computer. Kindle levels the field of coveted shelf space for authors and gives lesser known or newer authors equal footing with the bestsellers.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

REGAN BLACK: Write a great book, edit that book, format that book correctly, and GO FOR IT! This is an exciting time to be an author and Amazon's Kindle empowers writers of all genres.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.



ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Regan Black is an award winning author of action-packed paranormal romance novels featuring alpha female heroines. "My mission is to deliver stories from the heart, full of unforgettable, passionate characters who know what they want and are willing to risk it all to reach the goal." She also writes short stories and, of course, blogs. If you are looking for a proven author who can deliver a fast-paced, exciting novel for your essential escape from the daily grind, you've come to the right place.

Visit her website, read her blog, find her on facebook, and follow her on twitter.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment