Friday

Kindle Author Interview: Karen C. Brown

Karen C. Brown, author of If the Tree Could Talk (oh what stories it would tell), discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about If the Tree Could Talk?

KAREN C. BROWN: The story takes place in the small town of Top Water, Louisiana where a secret drastically affects the life of Callie Greenson, a precocious 12 year old wise beyond her years.

One evening as the family is gathered under the big old tree in their yard, Callie notices a serious conversation between her parents.

Little does she know that the conversation is about her and a secret involving her parents, and three of their friends! This is a story that has laugh out loud humor, mystery and drama, whereas, the reader will meet the characters as the story unfolds. The reader will learn what secrets were revealed and how the characters reacted to lies that were brought to light and wrongs that were made right. Once the very last page has been read you will say, "This was a really good book."

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

KAREN C. BROWN: My characters are developed from people that I have met or known, where by, some have made some sort of impression on my life. Taking personality traits of those that I have known and weave them in to the fictional characters that come to life in the story.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

KAREN C. BROWN: Someone who possibly lives in or has known others who have grown up with the joys and challenges that samll town life can bring. This is a story that is suitable for the young and seasoned reader.

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

KAREN C. BROWN: I have always been an avid reader and had toyed with the idea of writing. I have written journals for my own enjoyment and decided that the time had finally come for me to start and finish the book that had always been in the recessess of my mind. Learning to be patient and to know that a good story takes time and can't be rushed. I want to write about characters that people could feel as if they really know them or someone who may be like the character.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

KAREN C. BROWN: I have little notes that I keep in a notebook or a specific file and from there I will write characters and descriptions as well as putting together an outline. The outline is to keep me focused as I continue with the story. There are times when I can write for long periods as creative thoughts flow and then there are times when I have what is known as writers block.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

KAREN C. BROWN: Brenda Jackson, J. California Cooper, Beverly Jenkins, Anita Bunkley and Linda Hudson Smith.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

KAREN C. BROWN: Some Soul to Keep by J. California Cooper because she is able to focus on specific charcters and their emotions in a very detailed fashion. It's as if she is in the room with you telling you the story. I hope to someday developed my writing style to paralle hers.

DAVID WISEHART: How did you create your cover?

KAREN C. BROWN: In the  small town where I grew up in our front yard there was a big shade tree where me and my family spent many summer evenings. I shared my thougths with my son who came up with the concept, which was given to an artist for the final cover.

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

KAREN C. BROWN: I first devolped my own website and from there I approached family and friends, on-line literary networking cites, distribution centers,Facebook, word of mouth, newsletters,  contacting book clubs,  participating in book festivals, Kindle and support from my church.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

KAREN C. BROWN: An opportunity to reach new readers and to stay on track with the advancement of book publishing technology.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

KAREN C. BROWN: Research and make sure that you learn all you can about  Kindle and it's formating requirements. Also, make sure that publishing on Kindle will be to your best benefit in moving your literary venture forward.

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Karen is the author of If The Tree Could Talk (oh what stories it would tell), her first self-published novel.  Karen is a native of Louisiana and a graduate of Grambling State University with a B.A. degree in Social Work. She loves to read and is co-founder of Sisters Sippin’ Tea Literary Book Club, Houston, TX Chapter. Karen has always had a love and joy of reading and to date, romance novels are still her all-time favorite.

She finds that writing is a wonderful way to express one’s self as well as a great stress reliever. Karen is currently working on her next two novels. The first is a romance novel and the second book is a general fiction novel about a woman who has been through multiple marriages, battling an illness that threatens her very existence and holding on to the hope and prayers that her missing child will someday be found.

Karen is well grounded in her Christian faith while being a member of the Ft. Bend Church. She enjoys traveling, jazz and old school music, family gatherings and is receptive to all that life has to offer. Karen lives in Houston, TX with her family.

Her favorite quotation is... "Life is good and oh what a blessing."

Visit her website.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment