Friday

Kindle Author Interview: S.L. Danielson

S.L. Danielson, author of Lust in London, discusses her book, her journey as a writer, and self-publishing on Kindle.

DAVID WISEHART: What can you tell us about Lust in London?

S.L. DANIELSON: Lust in London is based on a true-life tale of a friend of mine who went to London to study for a semester. I joked to him, "Wouldn't it be fun if you had an adventure while you were there?" He agreed. The story took shape in my mind from there and blossomed over time (over a year to write and create) into the tale you see now.

DAVID WISEHART: How do you develop and differentiate your characters?

S.L. DANIELSON: All of my characters are created from either a part of me or someone I've known in real life. Very few are just "made up" out of thin air. I love very deep, complex characters that have many sides to their personalities.

DAVID WISEHART: Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

S.L. DANIELSON: My ideal reader is most likely straight women (like myself) who enjoy reading about men in love, and it's not all about the sex. It's the drama!

DAVID WISEHART: What was your journey as a writer?

S.L. DANIELSON: I've been writing forever (about 6 or 7 yrs old) and only in very recent times did I decide to put it into a format for others. I'd always written for only myself, and wrote in a playwright manner. My style and formats have changed to be proper style, but the stories are the same style that I've always loved.

DAVID WISEHART: What is your writing process?

S.L. DANIELSON: It varies. Sometimes an idea just pops out of nowhere and I write down the basics of it into a scene. Other times it's very thought out and usually follows a flexible outline. My current manuscripts all have outlines...it keeps me focused and on track. I tend to wander otherwise onto wild tangents and changing scenes umpteen times.

DAVID WISEHART: What authors most inspire you?

S.L. DANIELSON: My first authors (past childhood) were Marta Randall, George Lucas, and Armistead Maupin. I loved Maupin's style the most, because it reads like a play.

DAVID WISEHART: What one book, written by someone else, do you wish you'd written yourself?

S.L. DANIELSON: I wish I'd written a lot of my textbooks on my own. I'd make them more interesting and better organized.

DAVID WISEHART: How did you create your cover?

S.L. DANIELSON: Lust in London's cover was done by a friend of mine for barter. He did a terrific job! My other covers are from clip art I've found (Ranch Hands) photos of models (RH Reharvested), For the Heart of Phillip's cover was stock photos done by that same friend, and for Bernard I did a rough sketch and the artist took it from there. I love them all!

DAVID WISEHART: How have you marketed and promoted your work?

S.L. DANIELSON: Most notably on Facebook. I have a main page there as well as a fan page. I also have a twitter account, a blog page, and I did have a website, until lack of finances forced its shutdown. I am listed on a couple of different group sites though, and they help.

DAVID WISEHART: Why publish on Kindle?

S.L. DANIELSON: Kindle is extremely popular and though Amazon takes it's hefty cut of profits, I still make some money off of it. Ebooks are my only sales and the more formats, the better. People also trust Amazon as a safe, established site, so they'll buy there.

DAVID WISEHART: What advice would you give to a first-time author thinking of self-publishing on Kindle?

S.L. DANIELSON: I would definitely do it, but make sure that you are happy with the book first, that you've gone over it with a fine-tooth comb. Also be aware of lag times when making changes (2-3 days at times). Otherwise, go for it! It's a tremendous forum!

DAVID WISEHART: Thanks, and best of luck with your books.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Author of romantic/dramatic gay fiction, S.L. Danielson has been writing since she was 8 years old. Love by the Numbers was published in 2009 and Lust in London in 2010, along with the brand new books Ranch Hands, For the Heart of Phillip (a rewrite), Ranch Hands Reharvested (rewrite) and Bernard; Diary of a 46-yr-old Bellhop.

S.L.'s style is critically acclaimed as being accurate, the characters 3-dimensitonal and realistic.

Read her blog, find her on facebook, and follow her on twitter.

Are you a Kindle author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! See details on my Kindle Authors Wanted page.

Discover new writers! Subscribe to the FREE Kindle Author Newsletter.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment